18 May Data Scientist
Our client is a leading quantitative analytics business in Australia (top 1%), specialising in the sports and racing industry. You will play a significant role in helping the business leverage their strong competitive advantage to expand globally. Valuing precision and performance, this role is highly technical and would suit someone who is intrinsically challenged by solving hard problems.
The team prides itself on being lean but highly collaborative. Humility, integrity and a strong moral compass are highly valued. You will have ownership of end-to-end projects, and witness the direct impact of your work.
What will you be doing?
The business is built on the foundation of high quality intellectual property. Your role will be critical in helping the business leverage what they’ve created in Australia to expand globally.
You will be building predictive models that directly contribute to the profitability of the business. Rather than working on standard customer profiling problems, you will use advanced statistical techniques and machine learning to predict random events to great precision.
The focus of the business for the next six to twelve months is to scale up machine learning processes for predictive analytics and improving pricing and financial models to move into international markets.
Who are we looking for?
- Personal character is infinitely more important than skills and talent. We strongly value humility, integrity, a moral compass and strong work ethic
- Someone who truly enjoys solving hard problems and have a true passion for data science
- You much prefer working in a small, collaborative team than a hierarchical corporate
- Academic or commercial background in an analytical field (statistics, econometrics, computer science, quantitative finance, mathematics, science etc.)
- Any proven track record in Kaggle or Data Science competitions will be highly regarded
- Be proficient in R/Python, or your desired statistical programming language
- Strong fundamentals in traditional statistics, or deep learning/machine learning
- Be able to explain complex algorithms in layman’s terms
What’s on offer?
The team has extensive quality IP as a competitive advantage
- Challenging and exciting work with great security of a profitable and growing business
- Switched-on and highly collaborative team members
- Hands-on and technical problem solving with the opportunity to run end-to-end projects
- Significant potential upside in recognising great work
We welcome your involvement and sharing of open source projects if you have them. Feel free to include a link to your portfolio, blog, GitHub, StackOverflow, BitBucket, Dribbble, Behance – anything that shows off your skills!
Apply for this Job